The Faculty of Law of the National University of Singapore (NUS Law) is one of the premier places for legal research in Asia. It has an active research culture with seven research centres, an intense and diverse array of research events and seminars, and large numbers of eminent researchers visiting it from around the world. In 2023, the Law School was ranked 9th globally by the Times Higher Education and 12th in the world by the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS).
We invite applications for Post-Doctoral Fellowship positions commencing in AY2024-2025. These Post-Doctoral Fellowship positions may be held generally within NUS Law or, for candidates with appropriate backgrounds and expertise, within one of the Centres at the Law Faculty.
Successful applicants will commence their Fellowships at the start of August 2024 and conclude them at the end of July 2025.
1. Fellows will be appointed to the full-time position of Post-Doctoral Fellow at NUS Law on a one-year contract (with the possibility of re-appointment up to a maximum term of 2 years, subject to re-application and consideration by the Faculty), and with a fixed remuneration of S$78,000.
2. Fellows will be reimbursed for a return economy class airfare (by the most economical and direct route) up to a maximum of S$2,000 to and from Singapore.
3. Fellows will be allocated a Faculty Research and Conference Fund allowance of S$3,000 to support attendance at academic conferences. Fellows attached to the Centres will have a similar allowance, subject to the funding conditions required.
4. Fellows will be allocated shared office space at NUS Law or within the Centres.
5. Fellows may be given the opportunity to present their research in NUS Faculty of Law Research Workshops or other seminars hosted by the Centres.
The selection committee will consider the following criteria in making an appointment for the position of Post-Doctoral Fellow at NUS Law:
1. The applicant must be of exceptional calibre, having attained a doctoral degree in law which must have been successfully completed and examined during the period 1 January 2022 to 30 April 2024. Applicants who have not been awarded the doctoral degree by the date of application but who intend to submit their doctoral thesis for examination not later than 31 January 2024 are welcome to apply, but in these circumstances written assurance is required from the applicant's supervisor (and endorsed by the awarding institution) that there is reasonable expectation that the doctoral degree will be awarded. Applicant must hold a doctoral degree in law by the time of appointment.
2. The principal selection criterion will be the applicant’s potential for excellence in research and the proposed programme of research of the applicant. An existing record of publication or participation in research projects are examples of evidence of such potential.
1. Application form
The downloaded application form should be completed and submitted together with the other required documents. Incomplete applications cannot be considered. You are also required to enclose a copy of your Doctoral Certificate (if applicable) or Status Letter with your application.
You may download the application form below.
2. Curriculum Vitae
A detailed curriculum vitae should be submitted containing complete and detailed information on academic institutions, honors, awards, all publications to date, and all professional experience (current and previous, including dates of employment and job descriptions).
3. Research Proposal
A detailed research proposal outlining the research plans for the next two years including the expected results of the work, and the projected contribution to the field of inquiry should be submitted. The title of the proposal should indicate fully the nature of the research project.
4. Letters of Recommendation
The application should be supported by two references from academic referees. Applicants should arrange for their referees to send their references to email@example.com by the closing date.
5. Submission of Application Materials
Interested applicants are invited to apply and submit their applications at link below.
6. Closing Date
The closing date for the receipt of applications (including the letters of recommendations) is 31 December 2023. Late applications will not be considered. Applicants will be notified within 2 months from the closing date on the status of their applications.