At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
The Mary & Michael Jaharis Health Law Institute (JHLI), which is funded by a generous endowment from the Jaharis Family Foundation, powers DePaul’s nationally-ranked health law program. JHLI’s mission is to respond to the ethical, legal, and moral challenges facing the health care field. Among its many endeavors, JHLI hosts high-impact programming and an annual symposium; collaborates with local and national leaders in the field and with an interdisciplinary group of health-focused programs; mentors and advises DePaul students pursuing a career in health law; publishes original content in the form of a blog, podcast, and health-focused law review; and partners with practitioners to offer an array of employment opportunities for its students. JHLI has earned a strong local reputation and has gained national and international attention for its work.
The Executive Director of the Center & Institute works in partnership with the Faculty Director of the Institute on strategic planning and vision for Jaharis Health Law Institute, and also works independently to both plan and oversee the important work of the Institute.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Plan academic programming and engage in community outreach on behalf of the Institute:
- Plan Jaharis Health Law Institute’s high-impact annual symposium on a topic at the intersection of health law and intellectual property and/or information technology, with advice and oversight from DePaul faculty members.
- Work with the Institute’s Student Board to plan other programming throughout the year, including a Continuing Legal Education (CLE) speaker series, book talks, and other academic programming.
- Collaborate with other academic centers and institutions-both within and outside DePaul-on programming and other joint initiatives.
- Implement policies to attract the participation of qualified students and implement policies to support those students in their coursework and career goals in health law
- Work with the Director of Admissions for the College of Law to attract and recruit qualified students to enroll in DePaul’s various health law degree programs.
- Advise and mentor health law students and coordinate JHLI’s professional mentorship program that matches students with a practitioner in the field.
- Run the summer scholars program, which provides qualified first and second-year DePaul health law students with paid summer positions at some of the most distinguished law firms and health organizations in Chicago.
- Plan internal programming for the benefit of Institute fellows such as career panels and course advising sessions.
- Work to expand the pro bono and community service work that the Institute coordinates on behalf of interested students.
- Ensure high-quality content-creation for Institute publications:
- Edit the Institute’s student-written blog, focusing on cutting edge legal issues affecting the health law field.
- Work with the Faculty supervisor of the DePaul Health Law Journal to attract quality scholarship for publication.
- Work with the Jaharis Faculty Fellows to oversee their work on the Jaharis podcast.
- Engage in strategic planning and marketing efforts to promote the reputation of the Institute:
- Engage in strategic planning along with the Faculty Director of the Institute and the Dean of the College of Law to further the impact of the Institute and ensure it is a nationally-recognized center of excellence.
- Pursue strategic alliances to further the goals of the Institute, the Law School, and the University.
- Work with Director of Marketing for the College of Law to market the work of the Institute.
- Participate in fundraising, promoting alumni relations, and administering to the budget of the Institute:
- Engage DePaul’s health law alumni.
- Convene twice-yearly meetings of the Institute’s Advisory Board and work to utilize the skill and passion of Board members to the benefit of the Institute.
- Work with Development personnel to fundraise for the Institute and its students.
- Administer to a budget and employ responsible financial planning for the Institute.
- The Executive Director may also engage in independent scholarly activities, including research and writing, lecturing, and teaching, as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Juris Doctor or Master of Public Health or Master of Jurisprudence or demonstrated equivalent health law experience.
- 5+ years of professional work experience in the field of health law and/or health policy.
- Experience at the intersection of health and intellectual property or health and information technology.
- Written work or publications in the area of health law and/or health policy.
- Responsible for overseeing approved budget allocated to Jaharis Health Law Insititue based on annual funding.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Excellent writing skills, people skills, and project management capabilities.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the "My Activities" tab of your profile.
Position requires evening and weekend presence during planned events.