The Post Doctoral Candidate will work as part of a world class team of researchers examining blockchain regulation around the world with a focus on enhancing the domestic legal framework in Qatar to support the emerging FinTech and RegTech sectors. The project is funded by the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) for three years (2019-2021). The position is funded for two years.
The position will involve:
1. Engaging in both collaborative and independent research and publication in areas of strategic interest to the project and its goals (blockchain regulation, financial inclusion, AML/CTF, cyber-governance);
2. Providing research and editorial support for publications;
3. Building and liaising with a taskforce of key stakeholders;
4. Law and policy research and drafting;
5. Presenting at conferences and events;
6. Collaborating with internal and external parties to complete the research project;
7. Provide professional support in the preparation and administration of events relating to the project;
8. Engage local stakeholders for both outreach and output dissemination.
Candidate qualifications and qualities:
It is essential that candidates:
1. Are fluent in all aspects of the English language;
2. Hold a PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant field (preferably law-focussed) and from a recognized tertiary institution.
It is highly desirable if candidates also satisfy the following:
1. Can be based in Qatar full-time;
2. Have previously published in professional or peer reviewed journals (SCOPUS/ISI) in the field;
3. Have experience working in an academic environment;
4. Can work in an independent and disciplined manner;
5. Can effectively manage workflow and meet deadlines;
6. Are literate in IT-related matters;
7. Arabic proficiency is an advantage but not essential.
Remuneration and Conditions
Competitive remuneration packages (tax-free) including housing allowance, transport allowance, schooling allowance (for one child), and annual return tickets to home country (or equivalent) for candidates and their family (spouse and one child). The appointment is for 12 months (renewable for another 12 months subject to grant continuation and satisfactory performance).