Search for University Jobs in Law
Associate, Brand Protection and Business Contracts (7380U)
University of California, Berkeley
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 25, 2019
The Office of Business Contracts and Brand Protection (BCBP) oversees business contracts for the Berkeley campus and provides guidance on trademarks and intellectual property. Core to our values is conducting our operations in a socially responsible manner to further the University’s mission of teaching, research and public service.
Contract Development and Execution
- Counsels campus departments in the execution of agreements and provides appropriate business, policy and legal review.
- Conducts contract preparation activities, including initial drafting of contract document, negotiating terms and conditions, may seek management approval of terms which deviate from University standards, as well as coordinate with the Office of Risk Services to mitigate risk to the University.
- Evaluates all information provided and obtains additional information as required to arrive at sound business decisions consistent with University policy and regulations.
- Collaborates and coordinates with key stakeholders, other campus contracting offices, internal control units, such as the Office of Legal Affairs and the Office of Risk Services to assess and minimize risks in proposed transactions, and/or manage risk as appropriate.
- Obtains review and approval as to legal form and/or language of agreements from the Office of Legal Affairs or Office of General Counsel as mandated by University policy.
- In support of the 2-year pilot by the UC Office of the President (UCOP) to establish a system-wide revenue generating program in coordination with the campus’ University Business Partnerships & Services group (UPP), reviews, drafts and negotiates contracts for these multi-campus engagements.
- Maintains accurate and organized files documenting contractual transactions including using the Business Contract Management System (BCMS) or other similar database.
- Works with highly confidential material.
- Conducts research into allegations of trademark misuse for all campuses of the UC system; provides enforcement in the form of cease and desist letters.
- Assists with determining registrability of trademarks.
- Assists with coordinating review of campus’s intellectual property in television and film productions.
- Assists with managing campus bus shelter advertising program, informs advertisers of campus policy regarding appropriate advertisements, and review/approves advertisements to mitigate reputational risk.
- Maintains accurate and organized files documenting IP transactions for audit purposes, including creating and/or managing an internal database similar to BCMS for tracking trademark/brand protection matters. Evaluates all information and obtains additional information as required to arrive at sound business decisions.
- Selects appropriate contracting method based on departmental needs.
- Participates in process improvement activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Advanced knowledge of contracting and transactional principles and practices, methods and procedures used to develop business contracts, especially associated with income generation.
- Thorough knowledge of contract law, especially related to foreign and domestic business relationships, intellectual property licensing, and other relevant rules, guidelines, policies and practices.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills; advanced ability to deal effectively with broad and diverse constituencies with advanced customer service orientation and skills.
- Strong listening, political acumen skills and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills.
- Strong organizational, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Prior experience with and thorough knowledge of Trademark laws as well as Federal and State laws associated with business contracts in academia.
- Highly developed analytical skills, including analysis of relevant facts and report writing, seasoned experience researching, drafting, negotiating and preparing complex contracts.
- Knowledge of trademark/brand-related University of California and Berkeley campus policies and guidelines.
- Able to exercise independent initiative and considerable judgment in advising both academic and administrative officers and staff.
- Able to multi-task with demanding and sometimes conflicting deadlines.
- Must be able to maintain highly confidential material.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite computer skills as well as Adobe Acrobat, database and the use of search engines.
- Significant years of experience drafting complex and novel agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Law, Contract Management or Business Management and/or equivalent experience and or training in drafting complex contracts.
- Admission to the California State Bar desirable.
- Certification as a Mediator desirable.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |