Bocconi University invites applicants for 8 fully-funded PhD positions within the Legal Studies doctoral program. The fellowship covers both fees and maintenance for the duration of the three-year program. Candidates who are not selected for the fellowship can nonetheless be considered for a tuition waiver.
The International and European Law curriculum seeks to foster world-class research on any topic within the two broad subject areas of international law and European law.
Potential fields of interest include, but are not limited to, general public international law, international trade law, international investment law, international cultural heritage law, international criminal law, private international law, European economic law, European trade law, European internal market law, European external relations law, European Citizenship, European constitutional law, EU fundamental rights, and European social law.
Students are encouraged to take an active part in the life of the Department. In their second and third years, where possible, students have the opportunity to gain experience as Teaching Assistants. Students are encouraged to network with PhD students from other universities and with speakers at our guest seminar series and at other events. The program aims to create a vibrant community of young researchers fully integrated into the life of the Department and in this way to contribute to forming the next generation of research leaders.
Successful applicants will spend the first part of the program at Bocconi following a set of tailored courses on legal and interdisciplinary research methodologies and specialized seminars on selected topics in international and European law. Students are subsequently encouraged to spend a period abroad as visiting researchers at foreign universities, research centers or international organizations. Bocconi has a wide network of connections with world-leading institutions and provides support to PhD students for research stays abroad.
Applications can be submitted by candidates of any citizenship who:
- have completed or are completing their graduate studies and
- have at least a "proven" B2 (CEFR) level of competence in English
For the PhD in Legal Studies, Bocconi PhD School offers:
- a maximum of 8 places with a fellowship;
- a maximum of 2 places with a merit-based tuition waiver covering up to 100% of tuition fees.
Tuition fees for students without a fellowship or tuition waiver amount to euros 10,000 for each year.
For more detailed information, please see the full official call published on the website www.unibocconi.eu/admissionphd
For more detailed information about our program, please visit the website:
To apply for our PhD program only our online application procedure may be used.
Applications are due by 15 January 2020.
The assessment of the applicant is based on:
1. Personal curriculum: full CV
2. Academic records: transcript of exams and certification of undergraduate and graduate degrees awarded and final grade (if any); if the graduate program has not been completed, an enrollment document with the full study plan, the exams taken and the grades achieved;
3. Statement of purpose: short description (max 1200 words) of your motivation for enrollment in a Bocconi PhD program and of your professional goals
4. Reference letters: up to two reference letters uploaded by referees appointed in the online application procedure
5. Abstract of your thesis: only if included in your graduate program (maximum length: one page)
6. Research proposal: detailed description of research proposal coherent with one of the curricular disciplinary fields (see full official call published at www.unibocconi.eu/admissionphd)
7. Other relevant documents (maximum five): e.g. publications, other programs attended, etc.
A candidate will be eligible for admission if he or she has obtained at least 70 points in the qualifications assessment and at least 20 points out of 30 in the interview.
Please consult our website for complete details of our application procedure:
For more information about the program, please feel free to contact our Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org